Songs in red are available on the Roseville Big Band Concert in the Park (+8) CD. As usual, we will take requests. Songs crossed out like this were on the original list but were skipped due to lack of time. Songs in Italics were added by audience request.
Before the dance Cindy and Terry Gardner, representing TC Swing, gave free swing dance lessons, finishing at 7:45, then playing dance music until the band was ready. At 7:55, Chavis, the host, will introduce the dance and welcome the dancers.
Set One (8:00-8:50):
1. Dance to the Big Band Swing (Karen, Kirk, GN,
Glen P., Jim)
2. Little Brown Jug (Steve, Glen P., Dan T.)
3. I Thought About You (Kirk, Glen P.)
4. Hey, Jealous Lover (Ann, Mark S., Glen P.)
5. American Patrol (Kay, Dan G.)
6.On a Slow Boat to China (Kirk and Karen)
7. Woodchopper's Ball (GN, trumpet with plunger; Bob, George, Dan T., Tom, Jason, Bill F., Dan D., Steve) 8.
Liechtensteiner Polka (GN) 9. Who's Sorry Now? (Kirk, Glen P.)
10. I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart (Kay, Keith, Ann)
11. Ac-cent-tchu-ate the Positive (Karen, GN (trumpet))
At this point, while the band takes a break, Chavis and events coordinator Amy Lauria led the ceremonies to honor all veterans and active military personnel, and a CAF pilot ran up the B25 engines.
After the break, the Minnesota Fire Service Pipe Band performed these selections with the Roseville Big Band:
BP1. The pipe band marched in to Jimmie Findlater (band joins in on third part of the tune)
BP2. The Rose of Kelvingrove (band intro; solo piper-Lynn Ista, then all pipers once; repeat tune, and on repeat of second part go to the coda)
BP3. Highland Cathedral (1 bar snare, 1 bar drone, 8 bars pipe solo by Lynn Ista (A1), then band joins (A2, B, A3, A4, B, A3, Coda)
BP4. Amazing Grace (form: solo bagpipe-Dave MacKinnon, all pipes, pipes and band), dedicated to all military personnel, past and present
BP5. The pipe band marched out to Scotland the Brave and Johnny Scobie (pipes and band together; 2 bar snare intro; start with STB, go to JS, then back to STB as the MFSPB marches out)
Set Two (around 9:20, after the joint bagpipe and band selections, until around 10:45):
1. Rock Around the Clock (Rhythm & Swing Exhibition Dancers; Bob, Bill P., GN)
2. Fly Me to the Moon (Kirk, Bill F.)
3. How High the Moon (trbs, Keith, George, Greg)
4. Moon River(Kay and Bill, alto sax duet; Karen, Kirk, GN) 5. (Oh,) Lady Be Good (Bob, Kay, Steve) 6. It Had to Be You (Kirk, Ann)
7. Pennsylvania 6-5000 (Hest arr.; Mark S., Glen P.)
8. Come Fly with Me (original version (key of C); Kirk, Glen P.)
9. Cha Cha Cha for Judy (audience guest percussionists)
10. Lady is a Tramp (female vocal; Karen, Kirk, GN; Keith 51-56))
11. In the Mood (Tyzik arr., Doc Severinson version; Glen P., Kay, Dan T., Mark S., GN, Jim)
12. Rosie the Riveter (Kirk, Bob, GN, George)
13. It's Only a Paper Moon (Karen, GN)
14. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning (Glen P., Bob, Ann)
15. Just in Time (Karen, Bill F.)
16. It's A Wonderful World (Mark S., Ann) 17. 'S Wonderful (Karen, Glen P., Dan T.)
18. In a Mellow Tone (Greg, Bob)
Between sets 2 and 3, Rhythm & Swing will perform to a medley of pre-recorded music and Amy Lauria and Chavis will announce the winners of the costume contest.
Set Three (11:00-12:00):
1. St. Louis Blues March (Kay, Jim, Glen P.)
2. All of Me (Karen, GN, Keith, Glen P./Greg)
3. Sweet Georgia Brown (George, Jason)
4. Cry Me a River (Karen)
5. Straighten Up and Fly Right (Keith, Jason, Ann)
6. Sing, Sing, Sing (Jim; Kay, clarinet; GN, trumpet with plunger; Keith, vocal)
7. Who Walks In When I Walk Out? (GN, Karen, Dan T., Glen P., Kay)
8. Stompin' at the Savoy (#14 in Book II; Glen P., Kay, Ann)
9. Moonlight Serenade (Kay, clarinet)
10. You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You (Karen, Ann)
11. String of Pearls (Kay, GN)
12. Georgia on My Mind (Wolpe arr.; Karen, Glen P.) 13. Opus One (Karen, GN, George, Steve)
14. Last: Show Me the Way to Go Home (Ann, Glen P., Steve)
The Minnesota Fire Service Pipe Band performers for this dance (tentative):
Pipers: Lynn Ista (Pipe Major and soloist),
Dave MacKinnon (Pipe Sergeant and soloist; will sit near the band rather than marching in and join the other pipers after they'd come in),
Jonathan Halberg, and Benjamin Schenck.
Snare Drummer: Bob Kippels; Bass Drummer: Richard Cady
Rhythm and Swing performers: Brandy Schmidt, Brianna Asmus, Brittany Jacks, Christa Weiler, Emilie Wardrip, Emma Beasley, Erica French, Kayla Joachim, Stacey Kawa, David Kreft, Loren Vanderhoff, Nate Casteel, and Scott Sonbuchner
About 800 people came to the dance.
page was last updated
Friday, February 07, 2020.