Scott County Historical Society World War II Hangar Dance, September 25, 2010,
in the hangar at Lot 72A, Sierra Lane, at the Flying Cloud Airport, 10110 Flying Cloud Drive, Eden Prairie, MN 55347
Led by Glen Newton
Wear black suits, white shirts, blue ties and cummerbunds. For the schedule, see the bottom of this web page.
Songs in red are available on the Roseville Big Band Concert in the Park (+8) CD.
Set One (7:10-8:00):
|10. Cha Cha Cha for Judy (audience guest percussionists; priority given to people named Judy)
11. Blue Skirt Waltz (Kirk) (moved from set 2 to fill a waltz request)
12. Seems Like Old Times (Glen P.)
|Guests played congas, maracas, and other Latin percussion instruments with the band.|
||Set Two (8:20-9:05):
1. Satin Doll (Ann, Dan T. (flugelhorn), Dan D.)
2. I'll Take Romance (Kirk, Mark L.)
2a. Moon River (instrumental) - waltz request
3. Chattanooga Choo-Choo (Wolpe; Glen P.)
4. Who's Sorry Now? (Kirk, Glen P.) (moved from set 1 after we moved Blue Skirt Waltz)
6. Pennsylvania 6-5000 (Dan T., Glen P.)
7. (It Seems to Me I've) Heard That Song Before (Dan T., GN)
8. Woodchopper's Ball (GN, trumpet with plunger; Bob, Carl, Mike B., Glen P., Scott, Dan T., Rich, Keith (bass trombone), Bill F., Dan D., Mike W.)
John and Glen posed in front of a 1939 Buick Century outside the hangar.
|Kathleen Klehr, Executive Director of the Historical Society, presented the awards for best costumes.|
|Set Three (9:20-10:05):
1. Little Brown Jug (Dan T., Glen P.) - dedicated to Corey and Betsy for their wedding anniversary
2. Fly Me to the Moon (Kirk, Bill F.)
2a. Moon Over Naples (Blue Spanish Eyes; Kirk and GN) - rhumba request
3. Stompin' at the Savoy (Glen P., Ann)
4. That's All (GN-vocal, Bill F.)
5. Sing, Sing, Sing (Dave; Kay, clarinet; Rich; Keith, scat vocal; GN, trumpet with plunger)
|6. Ain't Misbehavin' (Kirk, Diane, GN)
7. In a Mellow Tone (Mike B., Bob)
8. String of Pearls (Kay, GN (trumpet), Ann)
9. The Nearness of You (Kirk)
11. Do Nothing 'Til You Hear from Me (Kirk, Glen P., GN)
12. Last: Show Me the Way to Go Home (Ann, Glen P., Mike W.)
|Guests listened to oral histories of WWII veterans on the Historical Society's latest display.|
Roseville Big Band performers for this dance:
Saxes: Kay Foster (alto, clarinet), Bill Frank (alto), Glen Peterson (tenor), Dan Desmonds (tenor), and Bill Pearson (baritone
Trumpets/Flugelhorns: Mark Lee, John Preston, Dan Theobald, and Bob Nielsen
Trombones: Mike Bratlie, Scott Swenson, Rich Eyman, and Keith Miner (bass trombone)
Rhythm: Ann Booth (piano), Carl Berger (guitar), Mike Wobig (bass), and Dave Tuenge (drums); Glen Newton (vibraphone)
Vocal: Diane Lindberg, Kirk Lindberg, Glen Newton, Bob Nielsen, and Keith Miner
|Several people arrived by 5:00 to get the band set up as much as possible before the doors opened to the public at 5:30. (However, the public started arriving around 5:10.) The Wingwalkers USO Troupe (directed by Fran Boehlke, accompanied by Mary Kopet) brought their own equipment.
They were done rehearsing by 5:10. Dinner ran from around 5:30 to 7:00. The Wingwalkers USO show scheduled for 6:15-6:45 started and ended about 5 minutes late.We were supposed to play 7:00-10:00, but
it took until 7:10 to get the stage disassembled and the other sound equipment out of the way. The raffle and costume contest started a few minutes after 8:00 and only lasted until about 8:15, shorter than planned, so we began our second set early.
|The Wingwalkers USO Troupe|
We sold two CDs.
We sold two CDs.