All members of the band shall:
- Make sure that their music is at all rehearsals and performances if they can't be there.
- Spend an appropriate amount of time preparing/practicing music.
- Write corrections and style notes in pencil on the music so that substitutes will know about the changes.
- Keep their music folder in order.
- Arrange for a substitute if they can't make a rehearsal or performance, as soon as they know there is a conflict.
- Make sure the music for the sub gets to the rehearsal or performance.
- Confer with the director about who would be the most appropriate subs for a performance.
- Notify the director and section leader that they will be gone and who will be filling in or that they cannot arrange a substitute.
Rehearsals and Concerts
- Arrive at rehearsals early enough to be set up, warmed up, and tuned by 7:30.
- Display good decorum during rehearsals.
- Help with loading and unloading equipment and setting up and tearing down equipment for performances.
- Be punctual for performances; arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the start.
- Wear the proper attire and behave in a professional manner at performances.
- Make sure the member list has complete contact information, including address, emails, and phones.
- Keep the section leader and the director advised of phone, email, and address changes for the member list.
In addition to the duties of the other band members, section leaders shall:
Historical note: Director Glen Newton created the above lists of member and section leader duties in 1989 and updated them in 1991, 2008, 2014, and 2018.