Director Glen Newton created the following lists of member and section leader duties May 4, 1991. They were a minor update to the September 12, 1989, duties, deleting "paying dues" and adding notifying the director of an absence, even when there is a sub. [Updates for 2008 are in brackets.]
All members of the band shall:
- Make sure that their music is at all rehearsals and performances if they can't be there.
- Spend an appropriate amoung of time preparing/practicing music.
- Write corrections and style notes in pencil on the music so that substitutes will know about the changes.
- Keep their music folder in order.
- Notify the director when they will not be present, whether or not there is a sub.
- [Confer with the director about who would be the most appropriate subs for a performance.]
- Arrange for a substitute if they can't make a rehearsal or performance, as soon as they know there is a conflict.
- Notify the section leader that they will be gone and who will be filling in or that they cannot arrange a substitute.
- Keep the section leader [and the director] advised of phone and address changes for the roster.
Rehearsals and Concerts
- Arrive at rehearsals early enough to be set up, warmed up, and tuned by 7:30.
- Display good decorum during rehearsals.
- Help with loading [and unloading] equipment and setting up and tearing down equipment for performances.
- Be punctual for performances; arrive at least 45 minutes prior to the start.
- Wear the proper attire and behave in a professional manner at performances.
In addition to the duties of the other band members, section leaders shall: